Saturday, May 05, 2007

Something Very Important

I realised something very important yesterday. I enjoy spinning much more than knitting the yarn I create. I also can't wait to start spinning. It seems to be all I think about these days. Spinning is very important to me. It is my passion!

My mother introduced me to spinning when I was a teenager. She only spun for a while and then her wheel sat in the corner until she finally got rid of it. At the time I found it difficult, but enjoyed it anyway. And being a teenager I prefered to be outside playing cricket with my brother than stuck inside with my mum.

So now I am back spinning again, and loving it. I have two drop spindles, one of which is pictured below. I bought this one from castleman on Etsy. She does wonderful paintings on her spindles. She also has a great spinning and dyeing zine which I get. It is full of great information.


Anyway, I'm madly trying to get caught up with bills and rent so I can buy myself a second hand spinning wheel. I've done so much spinning lately that my arms are hurting. Problem is, I want to keep spinning but my arms won't let me.

Here is some silk fiber I found at home. The colour hasn't turned out very well, but it's verigated blues and a bit of blue/green. I spun it last night. It was an absolute dream to spin, and it turned out very nice.


Here is the silk on the spindle. I have plyed it and when it is dry from setting the twist I will share pics.


This is my current spinning project. There is 175 grams of beautiful multi-coloured merino roving here. It is a dream also to spin up. I've always loved spinning merino. They say it isn't a fiber for beginners to work with, but I don't agree. It drafts easily, feels beautiful and soft on your hands, and spins up lovely and soft.



I'll share pics of the spun fiber when I've done some more.

No comments: